Hawaii Island Humane Society seeks a Shelter Veterinarian to elevate and enhance our lifesaving programs and veterinary care for both shelter animals and community owned pets.
Work responsibilities include:
• Overseeing the medical care of approximately 100-150 shelter animals
• Spay and neuter, dental, and soft tissue surgeries for shelter animals
• Spay and neuter clinics for the community 1-2x per week, with approximately 20-30 surgeries per clinic
• Providing care for shelter and foster animals
• Writing health certificates for transport candidates
• Working in collaboration with the full-time Shelter Veterinarian at our other shelter to provide comprehensive care for all animals at Hawaii Island Humane Society
• Regular communication with HIHS leadership about the health status of shelter animals
About Hawaii Island Humane Society:
Hawaii Island Humane Society is a non-profit animal welfare organization, operating two limited admission shelters on the island of Hawaii. Work is primarily based out of our Animal Community Center in Kona. The Animal Community Center is situated on 12 acres in the idyllic climate of Kona's Holualoa neighborhood. The cool upper elevation breezes, natural rockfaces, and sweeping ocean views create the perfect setting for our state-of-the-art facility. Our campus includes Scruffee's Cat Barn equipped with indoor/outdoor catios as well as individual housing units, three Dog Dormitories, Adoption Square, a multipurpose Education Building, Welcome Center, Administrative offices, and Central Bark Park, comprised of two dog parks for large and small dogs.
Hawaii Island Humane Society takes in an average of 2,000-3,000 pets annually and has an average lifesaving rate of 95%. Our lifesaving programs and services include adoption, foster, Field Trips for Shelter Dogs, transport and rescue partnerships, free spay and neuter services for the community, and more.
Why join us?
• In addition to living in paradise, we strive for a healthy work-life balance with a reduced 4 day work week, allowing you to enjoy your life in Hawaii and explore everything that our beautiful island has to offer.
• As the Shelter Veterinarian at the Animal Community Center, you will be working alongside a team of compassionate professionals who enjoy saving lives and making a positive impact in our community.
• Our Animal Care Manager assists with all administrative tasks, meaning less time on the phone or the computer, and more time practicing medicine
• Shelter hours are 8am-5pm with flexible schedules for veterinarians
• You will have the opportunity to be part of the development of our new state-of-the-art Anne Barasch Ryan Animal Hospital, which is currently under construction and set to open in early 2023.
• Hawaii Island Humane Society’s team is Fear Free Certified, focusing on how we can best reduce fear, anxiety, and stress in shelter animals.
Along with a positive, productive work environment – where people have meaningful jobs, know what is expected of them, and work as a team to fulfill our mission and achieve our goals - KHS offers:
• 100% coverage of health/dental insurance premiums for the employee.
• Retirement plan.
• 4 weeks of paid time off.
• Relocation allowance.
• Public Service Loan Forgiveness eligibility for full time employees
• Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) required.
• Veterinary license in good standing.
Shelter medicine experience, preferred
This is a full-time job.
Do you love animals but enjoy working with people? HIHS is expanding our Adoptions department to help get more pets into homes and we are now hiring for the position of Adoption Coordinator at our Keaau Shelter. This full-time position is key in completing families by making matches between our shelter pets and adopters. Adoption Coordinators must have excellent customer service skills and the ability to educate potential adopters with kindness and compassion. HIHS utilizes progressive, conversation-based adoption counseling to reduce barriers to adoption and help get pets into homes.
Previous customer service experience and experience working with animals is preferred.
Please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org