Hawaii Island Humane Society seeks a Shelter Veterinarian to elevate and enhance our lifesaving programs and veterinary care for both shelter animals and community owned pets.
Work responsibilities include:
• Overseeing the medical care of approximately 100-150 shelter animals
• Spay and neuter, dental, and soft tissue surgeries for shelter animals
• Spay and neuter clinics for the community 1-2x per week, with approximately 20-30 surgeries per clinic
• Providing care for shelter and foster animals
• Writing health certificates for transport candidates
• Working in collaboration with the full-time Shelter Veterinarian at our other shelter location to provide comprehensive care for all animals at Hawaii Island Humane Society
• Regular communication with HIHS leadership about the health status of shelter animals
About Hawaii Island Humane Society:
Hawaii Island Humane Society is a non-profit animal welfare organization, operating two limited admission shelters on the island of Hawaii (also known as ''The Big Island.'') Work is primarily based out of our new Animal Community Center in Kona. The Animal Community Center is situated on 12 acres in the idyllic climate of Kona's Holualoa neighborhood. The cool upper elevation breezes, natural rockfaces, and sweeping ocean views create the perfect setting for our state-of-the-art facility. Our campus includes Scruffee's Cat Barn equipped with indoor/outdoor catios as well as individual housing units, three Dog Dormitories, Adoption Square, a multipurpose Education Building, Welcome Center, Administrative offices, and Central Bark Park, comprised of two dog parks for large and small dogs.
Hawaii Island Humane Society takes in an average of 2,000-3,000 pets annually and has an average lifesaving rate of 95%. Our lifesaving programs and services include adoption, foster, Field Trips for Shelter Dogs, transport and rescue partnerships, low-cost spay and neuter services for the community, community veterinary care, and more.
Why join us?
• In addition to living in paradise, we strive for a healthy work-life balance with a reduced 4 day work week, allowing you to enjoy your life in Hawaii and explore everything that our beautiful island has to offer.
• As the Shelter Veterinarian at the Animal Community Center, you will be working alongside a team of compassionate professionals who enjoy saving lives and making a positive impact in our community.
• Our Animal Care Manager assists with all administrative tasks, meaning less time on the phone or the computer, and more time practicing medicine
• Shelter hours are 8am-5pm with flexible schedules for veterinarians
• You will have the opportunity to be part of the development of our new state-of-the-art Anne Barasch Ryan Animal Hospital, which is currently under construction and set to open in late 2022.
• Hawaii Island Humane Society’s team is Fear Free Certified, focusing on how we can best reduce fear, anxiety, and stress in shelter animals.
Employees at Hawaii Island Humane Society enjoy a positive, progressive workplace culture built on teamwork, collaboration, and inclusion.
Additional benefits include:
This is a full-time job.
Temporary Adoption Coordinator
*Temporary position during the months of May - October*
Do you love animals but enjoy working with people? HIHS is expanding our Adoptions department to help get more pets into homes and we are now hiring for the position of Adoption Coordinator at our Keaau Shelter. This full-time position is key in completing families by making matches between our shelter pets and adopters. Adoption Coordinators must have excellent customer service skills and the ability to educate potential adopters with kindness and compassion. HIHS utilizes progressive, conversation-based adoption counseling to reduce barriers to adoption and help get pets into homes.
Previous customer service experience and experience working with animals is preferred.
Please submit your resume to email@example.com for consideration.
Hawaii Island Humane Society is seeking a Facilities Assistant at the Animal Community Center in Kona. This position will include keeping our new facility sparkling clean, landscaping, basic maintenance/handyman work, and assisting with caring for the animals.
The ideal candidate will have good time management skills, be able to take direction but also be an independent worker, and take pride in maintaining a clean and well-kept facility.
Preferred qualifications include:
This is a part-time or full-time position at our Animal Community Center location in Holualoa.
To apply, submit your resume for consideration to firstname.lastname@example.org
Animal Care Technician
Hawaii Island Humane Society is a non-profit animal welfare organization. All positions require humane treatment of animals, compassionate public service, excellent communications and computer skills, a clean driving record and no limitations in working with animals. Requires a flexible schedule including weekends and holidays. Hawaii Island Humane Society is an equal opportunity employer and a drug-free workplace. HIHS offers a generous employee benefits package. All positions are full time unless otherwise noted.
A HIHS Animal Care Technician is responsible for maintaining the health for animals in our care while working with the HIHS Veterinarian, Animal Care Manager, and all other shelter staff. Work duties include but are not limited to: administering treatments to shelter and community animals, preparing and monitoring animals during and after surgery, handling and lifting animals, scheduling appointments for foster caregivers and pet owners, cleaning kennels, and inputting data. Applicants should enjoy spending time with animals of all shapes and sizes. Experience in medical or veterinary medicine is REQUIRED.
Applicants must be reliable, compassionate and willing to learn and follow HIHS protocols. Must have a solid work history and able to work a flexible schedule including weekends if needed.
Applicants must be dependable & mature with clean driver's abstract. Other duties may be assigned. The Animal Care Technician reports directly to the HIHS Veterinarian. We are currently hiring for an Animal Care Technician for our ACC location and our Keaau location.
Job Type: Full-time
Please submit your resume to email@example.com for consideration.